Drink once whenever
- Jack kills somebody.
- Somebody summarizes what's been going on in the past couple hours.
- Something bad happens to Kim.
- There's a split screen.
- Palmer has a speech about how he won't trash his morals, you know, the usual bullshit.
- Jack defies orders.
- A CTU employee looks at another CTU employee suspiciously.
- Somebody mentions the amount of time it will take for something to be accomplished (i.e., "The Delta squad won't be there for another twenty minutes").
- Jack says "Damn" or "damn it"
Drink twice whenever
- A CTU employee other than Jack kills somebody.
- Some annoying authority figure shows up (Chappelle, Alberta Green, etc.).
- There is an obvious lapse in continuity (i.e., Kim says that Gael is a mole and in the next scene we see him on the run).
- Somebody mentions Terri (Season One doesn't count).
- Somebody is revealed to be a mole/traitor, or an important object turns out to be a decoy/red herring.
- Somebody other than Jack defies orders.
- A main character dies.
Drink three times whenever
- A supporting character from a previous season shows up (Nina, Mandy, Sherry, Kate, etc.)
- CTU goes into lockdown.
Finish the drink whenever
- The main villain changes (example - Gaines to Drazen).
- The final minute does not include a surprise/cliffhanger.